I’m a cheapskate. I’m damned if I’ll spend triple-digit money to avoid triple-digit heat, by switching to refrigerated air conditioning. Even though our swamp cooler seems to be spitting in the wind against this summer’s wall of xerothermic weather. With spit that sizzles and evaporates in seconds.
Yes, I’m damned. I’ve condemned myself to Hell. It must be karma. Cheapskates like me must go to Hell.
But I haven’t given up. Instead I’ve become innovative in my effort to keep cool, while keeping out of debt with the electric company. I’ve devised some cheap ways to beat the heat.
And now I offer these ideas to you, for a donation. Please don’t be as cheap as me. After you read these ideas, please donate. Otherwise, you may find yourself joining me in a place similar to the painting, above.
Ten cheap ways to beat the heat:
- Take a cool, refreshing swim in your neighbor’s swimming pool. Not your own swimming pool. Never throw away money by owning a swimming pool.
- Go to a convenience store. Open one of those glass doors where you buy sodas and beer. And then just stand there until they kick you out.
- Take the ice bucket challenge. That’s where someone else gives money to charity for the privilege of dowsing you with free ice water.
- Hitchhike to Canada. I’ve read that their average highs in the summer are only about 25 degrees. Celsius, whatever that means.
- Become a nudist, and lobby for laws to make the summer season clothing optional.
- Look for fat people in a crowd and stand next to them for the shade.
- Stand by the side of a busy highway. Enjoy the breeze stirred up by passing traffic.
- Restrict sexual activities to phone sex only.
- Quit smoking. You’ll save money, and at the same time you’ll stop putting glowing hot embers close to your face.
- View a solar eclipse. Temperatures drop dramatically whenever the sun is obscured by the moon. (This is not as far-fetched as it may seem. Much of our nation will experience a total eclipse in August of next year. We’ll feel cool and refreshed for a precious few minutes. And then the world will come to an end.)
There, now wasn’t that worth a donation? Send your donation to: Tippy Gnu, 7734 Styx Avenue, Hades, Hell, 66666. All funds will go to a worthy cause. Me! If I raise enough money, I’m going to buy an air conditioner.